Absolutely. We are very flexible. We’ll work out the arrangement that best suits your needs and budget. You can do all the packing, some of it, or let us do everything.
You may save some money by doing your own packing, please keep in mind that Gerber—like other reputable moving companies—does not accept liability if there is damage to items we did not pack. Be sure to discuss these conditions with your Gerber representative as you plan your move.
If you want to do some or all of the packing yourself, we can advise you on the type of boxes or cartons you’ll need. You can purchase new and used boxes from us, along with plain newsprint (so much cleaner than newspapers!), bubble wrap, tape, and other packing supplies. See Box Specifications
- Lampshades—Pack them separately so they don’t crush each other. You may want to remove the harp, too.
- Dishes—You might be surprised to learn than china plates should be packed on their edges, not stacked. The end result is a package that is three times stronger than if you stacked them! We often pack a short stack of plates, but then turn them on edge in a carton specially constructed for dishes.
- Figurines—You’ll probably want to wrap them carefully in tissue and bubble wrap, then double-box them.
- Computers—Pack the CPU (tower) separately from the monitor.
You’ll find more Pack Tips here.
Whenever Gerber (or one of its affiliates in the case of an out-of-town move) can actually see what we’re packing, loading, moving, and unloading, then yes, we stick by our estimate.
When we propose either fixed or guaranteed rates, we honor them.
In addition to our reputation and a legacy of more than 80 years, you might be interested to know the following:
- We are a member of the Better Business Bureau Serving Greater Kansas City.
- All Gerber drivers and equipment (trucks and vans) meet state and Federal licensing requirements.
- We carry all state- and Federally-mandated insurance.
In addition, as a government-approved warehouse, our warehouse facility undergoes annual reviews to meet stringent financial requirements and security measures.
The short answer is, “As much as possible!”
We need to know the general size of your move (like how many rooms and how much “stuff” you plan to move), items that need special handling (such as pianos, spas, and safes), the To/From locations, packing requirements, timing considerations, and delivery requirements.
The more information you provide us, the more accurate our estimate for you.
Yes—as long as there is nothing fragile that could shift and break during the move. We also recommend removing small items from your dresser that could slip out of a drawer and be lost.
You may want to empty your nightstands, however. They may not be constructed to withstand any jostling of items during a move.
It is a very good idea to take business papers that you need in the short-term or that would be difficult to duplicate with you.
Don’t see your question here? Contact Gerber at 913-441-8550 or toll-free 800-972-3102 or send us an email.